Simple iMovie Editing
Edit Your Footage
For this tutorial we will use iMovie for iPad. If you don’t already have this on your iPad, it available as a free download on the Apple App Store.
- Open iMovie
- Select “Projects”, and click the “+” button to create a new project.
- Select “Movie”
- Make sure “Select” is enabled, then click on the videos from your collection you would like to work with. You can add more later, so maybe just select the ‘Establishment’ shots to begin with. Once you’ve selected the clips you want, click “Create Movie” to get started.
- Now it’s time to trim your clips. This means to delete part of the start and end of each clip. Clip on the clip you want to trim. It will turn yellow, and open up some options down the bottom. Next click and drag the top corner of the clip to change where it starts and ends. Do this for all the shots you have imported so far.
- Once your clips are in, we need to look at how they transition from one shot to the next. Click on the transition button between the clips to bring up a menu. Then choose the type of transition, and the length you’d like it to go for. Play around with different transitions and lengths to see what suits the clip.
- Add more videos to your Project by clicking on the + button in the top right corner of the screen. This will open the “Content Browser”. You can browse the content in your iPad library and add from “Recently Added”. Select the clip(s) you want, and click the “+” button.
- Repeat steps 5-7 until you have a completed clip. Your clip order should be sequential like:
– Shot 1 (Frame 1)
– Shot 2 (Frame 2)
– Shot 3 (Frame 3)
– Shot 4 (Frame 4)
- Balance the audio of the sections by clicking each clip and selecting “Volume” from the edit menu.
- When you are finished, click “Done” in the left hand corner of your screen. Click on the Title of your film to change it, and play it in full screen by clicking the screen icon.
- Like all good film makers, you should make some notes about what you did and didn’t like about your movie. Have a think about what felt good, and what looked bad. Was there a slow or boring moment that you could cut? Was the transition too long? Click on “Edit” to go back in and make some changes.
- Think your movie is perfect? Click the “Share” button to send us a copy (firstname.lastname@example.org).